There are many reasons to travel. Some people travel to get new experiences. Others to re-enforce in there minds that wherever you go, people are the same. Travel can be an expanding experience. It’s also possible to travel in a little “cocoon” which doesn’t move you out of your comfort zone and is merely entertainment.
- 20 things I learned from travelling the world
- by gary arndt
These days, especially if you have a smart phone, you can get away with amazingly small amount of planning. I have done trips which were planned as I went, but generally I like to do a bit of planning before I go.
- My Packing Tips and Recommended Travel Packs
- OneBag Traveler taught me a lot. I tend to carry a bit less than Doug.
- Gear: Magellans | TravelSmith | Ex Officio | Rohan
- Safety: State Department Advisories. You can get much more complete info from the UK FCO including excellent Country Advice.
- Language Skills: Pimsleur Method (start at least 30 days in advance) or RosettaStone.
- Culture: check out travel etiquette so you don’t offend locals. Joshua Project is a site about distinct peoples (ethnic) groups of the world. List comes from a Christian perspective, but interesting to anyone wanting to discover different cultural groups.
- Health: CDC Travel Health including their Travel Notices. TravMed has a number of useful resources and IAMAT English speaking hospitals
Low Cost Travel, Nomadic Life
- Art Of Travel: Written by John Gregory in 2009. Subtitled “European and World Backpacking On $25 a Day or Less”
- Foot Loose and Fancy Free in the 3rd World (archive): by Randy Johnson based on 6 years of independent travel.
- The Backpacking Site : Useful resource for people considering travel during a gap year.
- BootsnAll a great site which serves the community that lives for travel.
Tickets and Transport
- Tickets: Ultimatefares | Kayak | google flights | Expedia | Travelocity | Orbitz | Priceline (and bid recommendations)
- megabus.com very cheap around mid-west
- see what seats are good
- Live Flight Tracking
- If you are stuck in an airport it’s useful to know the best places to sleep. Some people join prioritypass to get into numerous lounges. I have been un-impressed given the limited hours and services accessible.
Sharing Economy & Community
- servas – housing for service and understanding
- imoova: shuttle RVs for owners and dealers
Hotels and Inns
- Fodor’s B&B Finder
- California Bed & Breakfast Inns
- Select Registry of Inns & BandBs