- Look for someplace with soft ground. Not only is this more comfortable to sleep on, but if it rains, the water will more quickly soak in.
- Look for someplace that has good drainage: slightly higher than the near by ground, avoid sleeping in depressions.
- Make sure you aren’t in the path of runoff if there was a severe storm.
- By lakes will have more humidity which is normally not a good thing.
- Under a tree or on a hill side will typically be warmer than in a valley or the middle of a meadow.
- Ridge lines are not a good location because of wind and lightning danger.